Thursday, March 31, 2011

quinoa stuffed zucchini 4 servings

first stuffed before they are covered with bread crumbs
cooked covered with bread crumbs

on my plate ready to eat

ready for my first bite...yummy
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa well rinsed ( you can use brown rice as well, use 1 cup of rice)
4 medium zucchini halved,ends trimmed
2 tablesppons evoo
1 yellow onion minced/chopped whichever you prefer
1 garlic clove....I love garlic I used more,,,and then some more
salt and pepper...I didn't until Iserved and then let everyone salt and pepper themselves ( ok, it is just me eating this way at my house...so I salted very little and peppered a bit more)
1 small can chopped black olives
1/3 chopped oil packed sun-dried tomatoes ( I didn't have oil packed just sundried, they worked just fine)
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I just sprinkled til I thought it looked good)

In a saucepan bring water to boil, add quinoa, return to boil, reduce heat to low, cover , simmer until tender about 20 minutes.

Scoop out the succhini flesh, leaving shells intact. Chop the flesh ( but if you hack at the flesh, like me, no need to chop!) set the flesh aside. Steam the shells until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.  ( now I am not an expert cook, how do you do this?  I didn't bother with this step and it was just fine) set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, add the oinion, garlic ..and zucchini , add salte and pepper to taste ( again, I did not do this!)and cook until the vegetables are tender about 10 minutes.   ( I also added mushrooms this time but have added any other veggies I thought sounded good)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl ( why bother dirty another thing?  Use the pot or skillet) and combine the quinoa and zucchini mixture ( not the shells like I thought the first time!)  add olived and tomatoes.  and again salt and pepper to taste ( and again, I did not do this because I watch my salt intake)

Stuff the zucchini shells with the quinoa mixture and then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, arrange in a pan.  add about 1/4 inch of water to the pan, cover tightly with foil and bake until the zucchini are tender but not collasping about 20-30 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes longer to brown the topping.  Serve immediately


I have made this a few times and each time I change the recipe...it is quite filling.  I have had one half with a salad and it makes a wonderful meal.  I put 2 halves in a rubbermaid takealong and it is an easy lunch for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment